Thursday, May 15, 2014

Paul Klee Goldfish

Paul Klee is one of our required artists for Kindergarten.  Since every school in my district has a copy of his painting "The Goldfish" we all use it for the basis of a project.

The print which is owned by all our town's schools.

My usual project with this print is to use black finger paint and Scratch Art's wonderfully bright rainbow finger paint paper.

I love this stuff.  The kids love it.  It does come in a weird size though.  I cut it in half to get something more workable for small hands.
I typically buy whatever is on sale, so this isn't a brand endorsement.  I also use craft sticks to help scoop and drop the paint onto the students' papers.

  Every now and again I also get a kinderartist who is scared of touching the paint or has some kind of sensory issues so I do also keep sponge brushes around just in case.

We start by talking about the different shapes Klee used to make the fish and what types of lines they can see in the picture.  Then we get started making our own fish.  When they finish I typically have them move the whole place mat rather then try and pick up a wet floppy picture and get it onto the drying rack.  They dry on my floor.  It's much easier this way for the little hands!









Teacher Example!







Some get so into the sensory experience the fish never gets made - just finger swirls all over!




This just wound up a set of hand prints!

Now, flash forward to the next day when you find out that it's Picture Day, and everyone is in their dressed up best.  Rather then have a moment of panic - you modify!  Same Klee print, same shape and line discussion - VASTLY different materials! 

For these Paul Klee fish drawn on Picture Day I pulled out the black construction paper and the construction paper crayons (I simply LOVE the construction paper crayons).  I actually like the way these came out better just for the extra details the kids were able to put in.









Teacher Example!













No comments:

Post a Comment