Friday, August 2, 2013

Oil Crayon Animals - Drawing from Observation

Have I ever mentioned how much I love calenders?  The day after new year's when they all go on sale is one of my favorite times.  Have a lesson on zebras but no prints?  Discounted Zebra calender!  Need more examples of M.C. Escher's works?  Discounted Escher calender.  My students now know that I buy them, pull them apart and laminate them to make inspiration prints for them.  After new year's I get a flood of calenders from them.  Not all are usable content-wise, but almost all of them are useful. 

This project would never happen without those old calenders.  This is a drawing from observation lesson.  These are all 3rd grade works.  That's right, 3rd grade.  I take out the animal calenders and spred them out and ask everyone to choose their favorite animal, be it wild or domestic.  After that I pass out black paper and white chalk. 

I demonstrate contour line drawing for this.  I have them pick a spot on their animal and trace their finger around the whole outside edge of the creature to practice.  Then we use the white chalk to draw that same contour on the paper.  The nice thing about using the chalk is that you can erase it if a mistake is made and it shows up brightly against the black paper for the kids to see easier.  I have the students add the inside details once the contour is on.  Background can also be added at that time.

Typically, we spend one whole day on the initial drawing. Days 2-3 (and sometimes 4, depending on how complicated the drawing was) is spent coloring with the oil crayons.  I do a short demo for blending them, smudging, adding white or black for tints or shades, but outside of reminding them they need to try to match the colors in their calender print as much as they are able I really just turn them loose and let them have fun coloring.  I do make sure they understand that the color should be applied heavily, so that the black paper is covered up.  I love oil crayon on black paper.  The colors all seem so much richer. 

Here are some of the end results!






No comments:

Post a Comment