Friday, August 2, 2013

Oh, I'm SkippyJon Jones...

and I bounce on my bed, and once or six times I land on my head!


That is my favorite line from the the first book.  If you have no idea what I'm talking about you are missing out.  The SkippyJon Jones books are a treasure!  Written and illustrated by Judy Schachner these books are full of imagination - and one Siamese kitten who just happens to think he's a Chihuahua. I have a SkippyJon project for pretty much every single grade.  Each grade level does an illustration based on a different book in the series.  My students look forward to the SkippyJon projects.  They love this fiesty little kitten as much as I do. 

The project below is based on the first book in the series.  If you don't have the book, you can find it here.

Day One is reading the story and then doing a wet on wet watercolor painting on 9 x 12 paper.  This paper will be put aside to make SkippyJon's dress up clothes.

Day Two is doing a desert landscape.  Oil crayon on 12 x 18 sky blue paper. We blend colors and mix black and white into the brown to get mountains in different colors. 

Day 3 is creating Skippyjon!  I give the kids a 9 x 12 white paper and brown paper.  I break the kitten down into shapes.  Circle head, oval body on the white,  two triangles for ears, small circle for the Siamese "mask", four ovals for the legs, and a bubble letter "J" for the tail.  Everything is cut and assembled onto the background.  The painted paper is brought back out.  A triangle for his poncho, a rectangle for the brim of the sombrero with an oval on top to complete the hat and an "8" for his mask. A couple of googly eyes and a crayon to draw the mouth and whiskers and he's finished!  Most kids will finish assembling the kitten in one class however there are always some students who will need two classes. 














No comments:

Post a Comment