Thursday, February 19, 2015

Even Monsters Need Hair Cuts



 So, this probably should have been posted back during October - so my apologies if it seems off-season.  I found the book pictured above at our school book fair and instantly knew what I wanted to do with it.  Since it doesn't specifically mention Halloween, I felt reasonably safe using it.  After reading the story, we discussed the different shapes used to make the faces of the monsters in the book.  I did some quick demos on the board of how to create facial variation using the shapes we'd just discussed.  Students had the chance to then pick the monster they wanted to draw and then show them needing a haircut (insert a line type review)!  I did this with Kindergarten through 2nd grade with great success.  I was even able to leave it for a sub one day and was still pleased with what the students came up with.   Enjoy the examples below!

Vampires were triangular.

Frankenstein was a square.

Wolfmen seemed circular (although judging by the eye lashes, this one is a Wolfwoman.


This student couldn't decide which one to draw so she just made a three headed monster.





3 Heads look even better in color!

One student liked the wolfmen enough to draw one on their own and bring it in to me.









No comments:

Post a Comment